Thursday, December 12, 2013

perspective

I just met with a student who's homeless. Here's what he told me.

He told me he came out here from Midwest for a girl. (He's 19). He said when he got here, her story changed. He worked at a restaurant, but the season ended. He worked at a cannery, but the season ended. He's being kicked out of the "Christian" shelter because he wants to go to school. (He's smart and thoughtful, scary to fundamentalists, I guess). He told me he didn't have a place to sleep tonight because the mission won't have him back. The next closest shelter is about 25 miles away. He has no friends here. His mother has passed. His dad won't answer the phone when he calls. 

There was no lie in his voice, and he said to me that he didn't want to lie to the Mission (we told him to say he wasn't coming to school just to buy some time until his financial aid can arrive). He said his mom told him to think of others first, so he shared his food stamps with others. He told me that it's hard to get a job when you can't take a shower. He said it's hard to read in the shelter because it's noisy and people bother him. 

I had to let him walk out the door into the rain and fog. He probably won't sleep inside tonight. He said he's coming back on Monday to bring me a paper that might let me help him. I hope he does. I really do.

11 comments:

  1. the world keeps getting stranger and stranger.... breaks my heart over and over to think that the world has become so cold and hard... .I lived a different world not so long ago

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really despise "help" that's offered with strings. Such bullshit. I just hope he can make it back in.

      Delete
  2. If you get a chance to talk to him again, give him this information:

    http://ccaservices.org/newsentry/transitional-housing-programs/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing available right now, unfortunately, though our SW is trying. We have a program at CCC to help, but everything is full. The cold snap has forced a lot of people inside who normally find other places to sleep. Helping Hands is the one that's in Seaside, 25 miles away. That's the one we were trying to gently push him towards, but he was nervous about leaving Astoria. I'd almost be willing to buy him a ticket to PDX if I didn't know I'd be sending him to a very similar place/situation. He's been in touch with many of the local agencies, they're just strapped. I feel very fortunate that we've never been pushed to that precipice, of having no place to sleep. This kid doesn't even have a car to shelter in. If he keeps coming back, we'll be able (hopefully) to eventually make something happen.

      Delete
  3. These guys have shelters too, and case management. Not seeing an agenda.

    http://www.helpinghandsreentry.org/Helping_Hands.php

    ReplyDelete
  4. Freaking "Rescue Missions" (I'm assuming that's where he was). It's so hard. On the one hand they do more than a lot of other community services, on the other... it's a goddamned big other.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. I think they get away with being so... what's the word? Directive? Coercive? ... because they fill needs that other agencies struggle with (or are full because of their lack of agenda). THIS is why I have a problem with faith-based initiatives unless there are specific steps in place to prevent agencies from forcing a faith-based agenda. :-/

      Delete
    2. What about state agencies (food stamps, cash assistance)? I'm pointing out the obvious stuff, of course, running through the list of what's out there.

      Delete
  5. Last thing (sorry, should think it all out and type one time): if he can at least contact some of the other places, they might at least be able to help him with a) transportation in the form of bus passes; b) intake over the phone to connect with a case manager to problem solve with him; and c) other options. Nonprofits don't always advertise what they can do because they'd be overwhelmed (and there's usually no advertising budget from precious funding), but most know of services that are out there that we may be unaware of. Ones that permit the person to be independent in mind, heart, and soul.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Gods, this breaks my heart, as I know it does yours. May he find a good way forward.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's trying, that's for sure. I'll post an update if he comes back in.

      Delete